IN-MI River Valley Trail
Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail Celebration and Grand Opening
View or print the flyer!
That event took place on Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 9:00 am
It was a traveling celebration of decades of work to complete 17 miles of trail or
34 miles round trip connecting Mishawaka, South Bend, and Niles.
It took place at:
1. 9:00 am Stateline Road Trailhead at 19890 State Line Road, South Bend, IN 46637
2. 10:15 am Fort and 3rd Streets Trailhead at 1325 3rd Street, Niles MI 49120
3. 11:00 am Spectrum Health Lakeland Niles Trailhead at 31 N. St. Joseph Street, Niles MI 49120
Get the most up-to-date information by Liking The Friends of the IN MI River Valley Trail on Facebook. www.Facebook.com/FriendsoftheIMRVTrail
We have great news! Niles Township completed the Phase II to connect Brandywine Creek Nature Park to the Niles City trail at Fort Street and the City of Niles completed the trailhead at the Lakeland Health campus. There projected were both funded by the MDNR Natural Resources Trust Fund.
The Indiana-Michigan River Valley Trail partners created a 17-mile trail connecting Niles, MI to Mishawaka, IN. The completed trail is used by commuters, students, families and tourists. The trail connects people to:
- 4 universities and several schools
- 4 downtown's (Niles, Roseland, South Bend and Mishawaka)
- 16 parks and 2 YMCA's
- 5 hospitals or major medical facilities
- Several historical and cultural attractions
- Businesses offering eating, lodging and shopping
-Click on the map below to see the trail overview (existing and planned route) The Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail overview link is here.
-View the proposed northern route of the Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail from Niles to Berrien Springs view the map here!
-Only a few segments are needed to complete the 17-mile trail system! Go to Google Maps - Bicycling for a detailed map of existing trails.
For a more detailed map of the trail in South Bend area, click here to view or print a PDF map!
Update on Progress
Constructed since 2008
- Mishawaka’s 6-mile downtown trail loop along the St. Joseph River
- The extension of the East Bank Trail through IUSB
- South Bend’s 2.5 mile Riverside Trail
- St. Joseph County’s Darden Road Trail
- New sidewalks along 933 between the East Bank Trail and Roseland Trail
- 2.25 miles of trail through the city of Niles
- 1.1 miles of Northside Trails through River Park, connecting the South Bend and Mishawaka trail systems
- Approximately 4.5 miles of connecting off-road trail around the University of Notre Dame and along SR 23
- 3.3 miles of Niles Township Trails north from the IN/MI State Line Click here to view the funding sources
- Mishawaka’s extension of their downtown trails towards Merrifield Park.
Trail Development Overview
A large number of supporters turned out on August 9th, 2014 to cut the ribbon and open a new 3.3 mile section of the Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail. Click here to view the flyer! The new trail section is complete from the Indiana State line to Brandywine creek Nature Park (just north of US 12). The section represents Phase one for Niles Township of the 34-miles trail from Niles, MI to Mishawaka, IN. The Trail will help link communities together, help promote tourism, and provide a great recreation opportunity. Niles Township has just one mile remaining to complete its portion of the trail. Indiana plans to finish their two remaining gaps in 2017.
There was a ground breaking ceremony in March 2014
for Niles Charter Township. They will be breaking ground on a 3.3-mile section of the soon to be 34-mile Indiana-Michigan River Valley Trail from Niles, MI to Mishawaka, IN. Niles Charter Township Phase I will be constructed from the Indiana state line to Brandywine Creek Nature Park (just north of US-12) in 2014. The Niles Township Park Chairman says this 34 mile trail will benefit the community.
In 2010, the City of Niles completed 2.25 miles of trail from Plym Park to 3rd/Fort Street. In 2014, the City partnered with the County Health Department to install ten fitness stations along the trail. As you can see from the "Trail Ends" picture, the trail still needs to be completed south of the City of
Niles. The Niles Township Parks Committee is actively working with City and partners to make this connection.
In Indiana, the St. Joseph County Parks Department and partners are working to continue the trail from Roseland to the Michigan state line. St. Joseph County Parks and Michiana Area Council of Governments have conducted a traffic study at Cleveland Road and have found an affordable solution for getting trail users across this busy road. The connection the Michigan and Indiana trail systems at the state line is now complete.
Several organizations and agencies support the completion of this trail. IN-MI River Valley Trail Partners Your organization can consider signing a resolution of support (PDF or Word). If your organization would like to have a presentation made about the effort, please contact Marcy Hamilton at 269-925-1137 x 1525 or email@example.com.
- Download a Brochure (PDF) for the Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail
- Press Release: Community open house for Niles to Berrien Spring
- Press Release: Sept 25th open house set for trail project
- Press Release: Trail between Niles, Berrien Springs taking shape
- Press Release: Berrien County dreams of trails, like a link from Niles to Berrien Springs
Press Release: Phase two planning for cross-state trail kicks off
- View a video and press release: Massive bike, pedestrian trail connecting Niles to Mishawaka making progress
- View a press release: New fishing platform, gathering space part of proposal to expand Niles trail
- View a press release: Phase 2 trail work in Niles Twp. dependent on grants
- View a press release: Niles Township approves prep work for River Valley Trail from Leader Publications
- View a press release "Officials break ground on River Valley recreational trail in Niles Township."
- View a press release: Officials tout benefits of bi-state project's newest link
- View a press release: Work continues on path to Niles
- View a press release: Niles trail awarded from Asphalt Pavement Association of Michigan
- Presentations about the Indiana Michigan River Valley Trail
*Some of these files are large and may require a high speed connection to download. If you do not have the newest version of Adobe Reader click here to download.
If you would like more information about the IN-MI River Valley Trail please contact Marcy Hamilton at (269) 925-1137 x 1525 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.