Log In | Register |
Search: Go

What We Do Home>Environmental Planning>Watersheds, Water Quality & Wetlands>Report Pollution

Return to Home PagePrintable View of This Page

Report Pollution

Click to open page http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1910000/images/_1911338_center300.jpg&imgrefurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/1911338.stm&h=180&w=300&sz=12&hl=en&start=15&tbnid=41VjcHV5aD2eYM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3 in a new window

Help protect Michigan's waters and wildlife by reporting any type of water pollution.  


Who do you call?

Pollution Emergency Alerting System (PEAS) Information

To report Spills, Releases, or other Environmental Emergencies involving:

Air ~ Land ~ Water ~ Groundwater ~ Wetlands ~ Dams ~ Landfills ~ Hazardous or Radioactive Materials ~ Mines ~ Public Drinking Water ~ Oil and Gas Wells ~ Nuclear Power Plants


Michigan Department of Environment, Great lakes and Energy(EGLE)Pollution Emergency Alerting System (PEAS) Hotline: 1-800-292-4706


The PEAS hotline is staffed to take spill reporting and environmental emergency calls 24/7.


- For immediate and obvious threats to public health/safety call 911


Play a Part in Keeping Our Lakes, Streams and Rivers Clean

Report Activities That Are Causing Water Pollution!


What Kinds of Activities Should You Report?

Wetland filling or other destructive activity

Suspicious dumping to drains and/or surface waters

Contamination to lakes, rivers and streams

Construction site soil erosion entering surface waters

Large numbers of dead fish

Sewage discharges on the ground or into surface water

Suspicious discharges from pipes

Polluted storm water runoff from storage piles and dumpsters

Pollution entering a storm drain or surface water

Illegal connections of sanitary sewers to storm drains or surface waters


To Make a Report

When making a report it is important to include the following information in your report:

  1. Where the incident occurred
  2. Directions to the site
  3. Date and time of incident
  4. What was deposited/discharged if known
  5. Was the substance deposited in the street, alley, river, lake, etc
  6. Give as much descriptive information about the substance that was deposited; color, odor, amount, etc.
  7. If you know or suspect who was responsible for the pollution, dumping or discharge you are reporting, please provide as much information as possible, so that they may be contacted.



Other Contacts for Water Pollution Issues Below:


Berrien County Drain Commissioner:

Christopher J. Quattrin

701 Main St., St. Joseph, MI 49085

Tel: (269) 983-7111 ext. 8261



Cass County Water Resources Commissioner:

Bruce A. Campbell

120 N. Broadway, Ste. 124, Cassopolis, MI 49031

Tel: (269) 445-4428


Van Buren County Drain Commissioner:

Joe Parman

219 Paw Paw St., Suite 301, Paw Paw, MI 49079

Tel: (269) 657-8241



Phone: (269) 926-7121



Phone: (269) 445-5280


Michigan Department of Agriculture - to report pesticide or other agricultural pollution

4032 M-139, Bldg. 116, St. Joseph, MI 49085-9647
Phone: (269) 428-2546

This page last updated on 4/19/2020.
Southwest Michigan Planning Commission  
376 West Main Street  Suite 130  Benton Harbor, MI 49022-3651
Phone: 269.925.1137  Fax: 269.925.0288  

Picture Library

Document Library