Help protect Michigan's waters and wildlife by reporting any type of water pollution.
Who do you call?
To report Spills, Releases, or other Environmental Emergencies involving:
Air ~ Land ~ Water ~ Groundwater ~ Wetlands ~ Dams ~ Landfills ~ Hazardous or Radioactive Materials ~ Mines ~ Public Drinking Water ~ Oil and Gas Wells ~ Nuclear Power Plants
State DEQ Pollution Emergency Alerting System (PEAS) Hotline: 1-800-292-4706
The PEAS hotline is staffed to take spill reporting and environmental emergency calls 24/7.
- For immediate and obvious threats to public health/safety call 911
Play a Part in Keeping Our Lakes, Streams and Rivers Clean
Report Activities That Are Causing Water Pollution!
What Kinds of Activities Should You Report?
Wetland filling or other destructive activity
Suspicious dumping to drains and/or surface waters
Contamination to lakes, rivers and streams
Construction site soil erosion entering surface waters
Large numbers of dead fish
Sewage discharges on the ground or into surface water
Suspicious discharges from pipes
Polluted storm water runoff from storage piles and dumpsters
Pollution entering a storm drain or surface water
Illegal connections of sanitary sewers to storm drains or surface waters
To Make a Report
When making a report it is important to include the following information in your report:
- Where the incident occurred
- Directions to the site
- Date and time of incident
- What was deposited/discharged if known
- Was the substance deposited in the street, alley, river, lake, etc
- Give as much descriptive information about the substance that was deposited; color, odor, amount, etc.
- If you know or suspect who was responsible for the pollution, dumping or discharge you are reporting, please provide as much information as possible, so that they may be contacted.
Other Contacts for Water Pollution Issues Below:
Berrien County Drain Commissioner:
Christopher J. Quattrin
701 Main St., St. Joseph, MI 49085
Tel: (269) 983-7111 ext. 8261
Cass County Water Resources Commissioner:
Bruce A. Campbell
120 N. Broadway, Ste. 124, Cassopolis, MI 49031
Tel: (269) 445-4428
Van Buren County Drain Commissioner:
219 Paw Paw St., Suite 301, Paw Paw, MI 49079
Tel: (269) 657-8241
Phone: (269) 926-7121
Phone: (269) 445-5280
Michigan Department of Agriculture - to report pesticide or other agricultural pollution
4032 M-139, Bldg. 116, St. Joseph, MI 49085-9647
Phone: (269) 428-2546