|Click here to learn about septic systems|
Click play below to hear radio ads on ways to help improving water quality! These ads were played on 97.5 FM!
Steps to Cleaner Water
Maintain your septic system every 3-4 years. Septic System Care
Plant rain gardens around your home to catch storm water. Click here to learn more at Rain Gardens of West Michigan.
Pick up after your pet and throw the waste in the garbage. Pick up after your pet
- Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway. Car Washing
- Check for and fix oil leaks in mechanical equipment (ex. automobiles and lawn equipment).
- NEVER dump anything down storm drains. Take all unwanted chemicals, paint, oil, etc, to designated collection sites. Hazardous waste disposal information for Berrien County & Hazardous waste disposal information for Cass and Van Buren County
- Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks, and roads. Lawn Care Practices
- Compost your yard waste and food waste to into good gardening soil.
- Use environmentally friendly and biodegradable household cleaners, instead of chemically based cleaners.
Install a water-efficient showerhead. They're inexpensive, easy to install, and can save you up to 750 gallons a month.
Click here for a fact sheet on other things you can do at home to protect water quality
Click here to view what a rain Garden is!
Water saving tips
- Set the water level on your washing machine to match the load amount.
- Run the dishwasher when it is full and not partially full.
- Purchase water efficient appliances. Learn more.
What can we do to improve the infiltration of groundwater?
Join the Southwest Michigan Water Quality Partnership by clicking here!