Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I CARE About Maintaining My System?
Click play to hear a radio ad on septic systems! This Ad was played on 97.5 FM!
Click here to watch a video on septic systems!
The video was provided by Two Rivers Coalition!
• Without regular maintenance, a septic system will fail. (It’s the homeowners’ responsibility to maintain the system!)
• Protect your drinking water and the environment. (A properly working septic will remove pollutants and disease- causing bacteria and viruses (such as E. coli).)
•Save money and protect your investment in your home. (It only costs about $150 every 3 years to maintain your system, while a new system could cost thousands!)
How Can I PROPERLY MAINTAIN My System?
• The average septic system should be inspected at least every three years by a professional.
• Limit excessive water usage in your home.
• Protect your home’s drinking water for you and your family -NEVER flush hazardous materials into the system!
• Expensive additives are not necessary and they do NOT eliminate the need for pumping!
Can I Spot POTENTIAL PROBLEMS In MySeptic System?
· Yes! If you see plumbing backups, sluggish drainage, or mushy ground around the drainfield, call a septic company IMMEDIATELY! (Click here for a list of licensed septic pumpers in Berrien County)
Michigan DEQ's List of Licensed Pumpers search by county!
Click here to search for them on the web
Do’s and Don’ts
• Learn the location of your septic
tank and drainfield from your septic
• Have your septic system inspected
every three years.
• Call a professional whenever you
• Keep a detailed record of repairs
• Conserve water to avoid overloading
• Divert sources of water, like roof
drains, house footing drains, and
sump pumps away from the septic
• Go down into a septic tank EVER.
Toxic gases in the tank can kill in
• Allow anyone to park or drive over
• Plant anything besides grass over or
near the drainfield.
• Dig in your drainfield or build
anything over it.
• Make or allow repairs without
obtaining the required health
To print a fact sheet for your community's news letter Click Here.
Financial Assistance Programs
USDA Rural Development Flyer
Home Improvement and Repair Loans and Grants Sec. 504
SMCAA Housing Information Flyer
Housing Rehabilitation & Emergency Home Repairs
SWCAA Weatherization Information Flyer
Michigan Assistance Program
Click here to visit SWCAA on the web
A Homewoner's Guide to Septic Systems *(NEW)
Click to view presentation from the Berrien County Health Dept. about septic systems!
Van Buren and Cass County Health Department
or call (269) 621-3143 for assistance
Visit the Berrien County Health Department's website
or call (269) 927-5623 for assistance