Hit the Trails: Trails for a Healthy Lifestyle
Trails create healthy recreation and transportation opportunites by providing peope of all ages with attractive, safe, accessible and low- or no-cost palces to cycle, walk, hike, jog or skate. Trails help people of all ages incorporate exercise into their daily routines by connecting them with places they want or need to go.
Some of the benefits of regular exercise include:
- Control weight
- Control high blood pressure
- Reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Maintain healthy bones and muscles and build cardiovascular fitness
- Improves the quality of air we breathe from less automobiles driving, leading to less toxic fumes
- Create opportunities for an active and fit lifestyle
Many people realize that exercise is important for maintaining good health in all stages of life; however, many do not regularly exercise. The U.S. Surgeon General estimates that 60% of American adults are not regularly active and another 25% are not active at all!
Trails and greenways provide a safe, inexpensive avenue for regular exercise for people living in rural, urban and suburban areas.