Getting an Amtrak Stop in Your Community
|Amtrak depot, Dowagiac, MI|
Amtrak's Great American Stations program is designed to assist communities with building or rehabilitating their train stations. The Great American Stations website provides resources for station development, including:
- Grant opportunities;
- Tips on the process of developing a station from start to finish; and
- Whom to contact for guidance throughout the process.
A Brief Overview of the Station Development Process
- Contact Amtrak or click here.
- Contact the owner of the depot (or the site on which your community desires to build the depot).
- Contact the state Department of Transportation.
- Conduct a building inspection / site inspection in conjunction with the railroad company that owns the track and right-of-way.
- Work with an architect and the Amtrak team to determine the needs for the station, including ADA compliance.
- Send completed and approved plans to the Federal Railroad Administration for final approval.
Read about the full process on the Great American Stations website.